New Hampshire Facts



I. A good rule of thumb to follow is that you should obtain a N.H. Drivers License and Registration (plates) within 30 days of moving into the state.

II. The first step is to bring your out-of-state title to the Town Clerk's office where your N.H. title application and registration forms will be prepared. At the Town Clerk's office you will pay a Motor Vehicle permit fee based on the original price of the vehicle and from there you take the completed forms to any N.H. Motor Vehicle Substation and get your plates. You will need to file a Verification of the VIN with N.H. Form 19A.


A. If your title is being held by a lienholder bring your current registration to the Town Clerk's office along with the current mileage of the vehicle and the exact name and address of the lienholder. A Title Application will be prepared by the Town Clerk's office which you will forward to the N.H. Title Bureau for them to swap a N.H. Title for the foreign state title with your lienholder. You will not be able to register your vehicle until you receive a letter back from the Title Bureau. Note: If your out-of-state registration or insurance coverage is cancelling within 20 days, you qualify for a 60 day Hardship Registration. The State Motor Vehicle Department gets in touch with the lienholder. When the N.H. Title Bureau swaps a N.H. Title for the foreign state title with your lienholder, you will receive the metal plates in the mail.

B. Cars 15 years and older are not titled in N.H. so your current registration will suffice to get a N.H. Registration. You also start at the Town Clerk's Office in this case.



I. A New Hampshire Drivers License costs $50.00 for 5 years.

II. Go to the Motor Vehicle Department in Milford or Keene with the fee and proof of residency.

III. Motor Vehicle will send you a book to study and an appointment to take a written test. As a rule, N.H. does not require the holder of a valid license from another state to take a driving test. Once you qualify, your photo is taken and you receive the license after a few minutes.

IV. If you're moving from out-of-state, you must register your vehicle in N.H. before applying for your New Hampshire Drivers License.

V. Non-U.S. citizens must go to the Department of Motor Vehicles in Concord to apply.



All dogs 3 months or older must be licensed. To do so, present a valid rabies certificate to the Town Clerk's office and you will receive your license upon payment of the appropriate fee. If applicable you must also present a neutering or spaying certificate.



I. The Property Tax year runs from April 1st of one year to March 31st of the next.

II. Property Tax is assessed to the record owner as of April 1st each year. All tax bills and other communication are addressed to the owner of record at his last known address.

III. Property owners should be aware that it is their responsibility to contact the Tax Collector's office for a duplicate property tax bill in the event that they do not receive the original billing on the property. Not receiving a tax bill will not obviate the owners responsibilities for payment of the tax and/or interest and penalties incurred.

IV. There are a number of property tax exemptions for qualifying veterans and their widows, as well as for the elderly and blind.



New Hampshire is the only state in the nation that does not collect a personal income tax or a general sales tax, which accounts for the fact that on a per capita basis New Hampshire makes the lowest tax effort in the country. There is a 5% tax on interest and dividend income. The state relies to a considerable degree on certain sales taxes, tobacco taxes and the state-operated liquor outlets. Local school districts receive the net revenues realized from state-run lotteries.



You may register to vote at the Town Clerk's Office. You must be 18 years of age and present a birth certificate, passport or naturalization papers if a naturalized citizen. You may register to vote immediately after establishing residency.